Home study - distance learning

From: Grassroots Initiative (paul168@juno.com)
Date: Wed Jun 11 1997 - 00:08:21 EDT

Date: Wed, 11 Jun 1997 00:08:21 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov
From: paul168@juno.com (Grassroots Initiative)
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: Home study - distance learning

Denise:
     I am currently tutoring an English class for Latino parents of
children in the elementary schools. We use the home of one parent, and
there are 7 students.
They are all working women, and for various reasons are unable to attend
the ESL classes offered by adult education. The main purpose of the class
is to find a way to help the parents so that they can assist their
children with homework in English.
     I use texts which I wrote while teaching English in Mexico, adapted
somewhat for teaching here. Throughout the class, Spanish is used
frequently.
     I concentrate on several issues.
     First, relaxation about learning English. I focus on progress not
perfection.
     Then pronunciation. Then grammar, etc., in context of a story or
essay, which are in the form of graded readers - i.e. each lesson is
built upon the previous one. Plus, I incorporate cognates a lot in the
lessons for "rapid learning."
     So far we have had about fifteen classes, which average about 90
minutes. Tonight I asked the students to read out loud a little faster
than usual and with a little bit more air, without worrying about
mistakes. Most of them felt more confident about speaking during this
exercise.
     The most important part of the class is the time spent in
translating from English to Spanish. And what usually happens is that the
students help each other. The reason that this is the most important is
that one of the objectives is to be able to clone this type of class so
that many more people can study at home.
     I am now putting together a script for a video course, plus I have
begun audio taping the texts for studying, and stories and poems,
primarily for listening.
    So, I am definitely interested in the development of distance
learning. Not only the changes in the Welfare laws, but also other
reasons have created a real need for this type of approach.
    I'd like to hear from you and anyone else interested in ESL distance
learning.
    Paul Rogers