RE: a few ideas for Genevieve

From: Cathy Shank (cshank@access.k12.wv.us)
Date: Thu Jun 05 1997 - 11:29:06 EDT

Date: Thu, 5 Jun 1997 11:29:06 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov
From: Cathy Shank <cshank@access.k12.wv.us>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: RE: a few ideas for Genevieve

I am pasting in a list of resource materials (and publishers) I have used
myself, or others have recommended, for this low literacy level.  Other
folks may be able to add additional titles.

Addison-Wesley/Longman:
Picture Stories: Language and Literacy Activities for Beginners
More Picture Stories
ESL Literacy

Dominie Press:
A New Start Student Book and Workbook 1-2

Heinle & Heinle:
Collaborations Literacy Worktext, Activity Masters, Teacher's Edition, and
Assessment Program

Linmore Publishers:
First Words
Pre-reading Resource Book

Oxford University Press:
New Oxford Basic Picture Dictionary of American English
Crossroads Multi-level Teacher's Guide

Prentice Hall Regents:
Access: Fundamentals of Literacy and Communication
Before Book One:Listening Activities for Pre-Beginning Students of English

Steck-Vaughn
Entry to English Literacy
Real Life English: Pre-Literacy Workbook

Also NCLE has two ERIC Digests that might be useful:
Teaching Low-level Adult ESL Learners EDO-LE-94-07
Teaching Multilevel Adult ESL Classes EDO-LE-95-02

and two NCLE minibibs:
Curriculum Guides for Adult ESL Literacy Programs
Women and ESL Literacy

Also, Jill Bell and Barbara Burnaby's Literacy Handbook (I think that is the
title) is a must get resource for the teacher. Good Luck.

-------------------------------------
Name:  Cathy Shank
       Special Projects Coordinator
       ABE Staff Development