Spanish literacy materials

From: Fran Keenan (fran@cal.org)
Date: Fri May 23 1997 - 11:38:22 EDT

Date: Fri, 23 May 1997 11:38:22 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov
From: Fran Keenan <fran@cal.org>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: Spanish literacy materials

I was asked for information about texts for teaching Spanish literacy
to adults. The list I have been using for some time follows. I am
sure it is not comprehensive. I wonder whether others on NIFL-ESL
know of some newer resources for adults learning to read and write in
their first language, Spanish.

I know the Mexican government has developed materials that used to be
available through certain consular offices in the US but am not sure
these materials are still available this way. (Some of these are
available through the ERIC system but reporduction costs are rather
high because they are large documents.) If you have any leads on
Spanish literacy materials and can tell us how to obtain them, please
share with this list.

My list so far:

Cuentos de Lucha y Alegr?a (1991) by Danielle Fateux

M?s Cuentos de Lucha y Alegr?a (1991) by Daniell Fateux

(Both available from New Readers Press 1-800-448-8878.)

Leer y Escribir Hoy (1990) by Peggy Dean and Teresa Figueroa Uribe

(Available from Linmore Publishing, Palatine, Illinois (815)
223-7499)

Spanish Skills Placement Test (1991) (Available from the Adult
Education Resource Center, Des PLaines, Ill. (708) 803-3535)

Fran Keenan
National Clearinghouse for ESL Literacy Education (NCLE) fran@cal.org
Visit NCLE's homepage at http://www.cal.org/ncle and download free
information about teaching English to adults!