connections!

From: PASISSEL@ualr.edu
Date: Fri Apr 18 1997 - 12:38:28 EDT

From: PASISSEL@ualr.edu
Date: Fri, 18 Apr 1997 11:38:28 -0500 (CDT)
Subject: connections!
To: NIFL-ESL@literacy.nifl.GOV
Cc: PASISSEL@ualr.edu

Date sent:  18-APR-1997 11:37:47

>Subj:	RE: Bond!
>
>I have stumbled in on this discussion late, but am quite stunned by the tenor
>of the following comment:
>
> "...the teacher is at fault if any bonding takes place."
>
>I would advise the reading of works by Nel Noddings on the role of care in
>teaching, and that of Belenky, et al, (Women's Ways of Knowing) who detail the
>concept of connected teaching (and that is just a beginning!).
>Furthermore, the idea of creating "communities of learners" which foster
>connection (i.e. bonding) between teachers and students and among students
>is a well respected one in both ABE and higher education circles.
>
>And, to emphasize Mex Butler's well-said comment re:
>
>"Students learn quickest when they are comfortable, physically and emotionally.
>Natural bonding between teacher and student is not a casuality of good
>teaching but a necessity.  When a teacher is attuned to the students,
>she/he can more easily see the needs to be met, and target the learning
>to the lack."
>
>Regarding this, I have an article coming out in the Spring issue of Adult
>Education Quarterly which details the necessity of connection between
>teachers and learners as it relates to retention and participation, and
>enhancement of learning.
>
>I would urge the quoted colleague to become familiar with the research
>literature before espousing such an unfriendly perspective which only serves to
>distance teachers from learners, and which negates and denigrates learners'
>humanity!
>
>Peggy

Peggy A. Sissel, Ed.D.                     | #   #  ###  #     ####         |
Center for Research on Teaching & Learning | #   # #   # #     #   #        |
University of Arkansas at Little Rock      | #   # ##### #     ####         |
2801 S. University, Little Rock, AR 72204  | #   # #   # #     #  #         |
INTERNET:  PASISSEL@UALR.EDU               |  ###  #   # ##### #   #        |
PHONE:     501-569-8179                    |                                |
FAX:       501-569-8503                    |                                |