Metaphor/Bonding

From: David J Rosen (DJRosen@world.std.com)
Date: Thu Apr 17 1997 - 09:12:46 EDT

Date: Thu, 17 Apr 1997 09:12:46 -0400 (EDT)
From: David J Rosen <DJRosen@world.std.com>
To: nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov
Subject: Metaphor/Bonding

Forwarded from the NLA List:

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: 14 Apr 1997 08:25:33 -0600
From: Janet Stotts <jstotts@smtpgw.ksbe.state.ks.us>

Dear Ms. Mckinley,

If you can look back to my original comments, you could tell that I
believe it is the teacher that is at fault if any bonding takes place.
The reason that I dislike that bonding is that I believe it keeps the
students in a dependent role. I also have seen ESL teachers use their
personal charm to disguise a lack of good teaching skills.  The students
are kept happy, but don't learn a lot. Learning isn't always comfortable
or fun, just necessary.

I found your reference to public school interesting because you are comparing
our students with children.  It is only in the lower grades where children are
with one primary teacher all day.  I don't think our students need to bond to
their teachers, they need and want to respect them and to learn from them or,
better yet, with them. I can't say that I have noticed any bias against ESL
students on this list serve, but then I don't always have time to read them
carefully.

Janet Stotts
<jstotts@smtpgw.ksbe.state.ks.us>