Re: workplace literacy

From: Nancy Davies (ndavies@user1.channel1.com)
Date: Sun Apr 13 1997 - 17:35:09 EDT

Date: Sun, 13 Apr 1997 17:35:09 -0400 (EDT)
To: nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov
From: Nancy Davies <ndavies@user1.channel1.com>
Subject: Re: workplace literacy

At 01:19 PM 4/11/97 -0400, you wrote:
>Hello list,
>
>I'm an ESL teacher and need lesson plans to teach workplace english
>to motel housekeepers needing English to keep their jobs. I need
>lessons/information/links on communicating with guests and superviors.
>
>thank you, Sandia

Hi, Sandia and all,

Prentice Hall publishes a book called Be Our Guest, Basic English for Hotel
Staff (Donald Adamson, 1992). I am using it for hotel workers in Boston --
but be aware the course is paid for by the hotels. In other words, the book
is not designed in any way to improve working conditions for the hotel
workers, so I am trying to implement alongside the (required) text some
Friere-cum-Silja Kallenbach mind-set on my part. It did not take long for me
to find out that the hotel workers in my class feel they are discriminated
against and abused by supervisors who are intolerant of their native
language use in particular, and of them as foreigners in general. So what to
do? For the time being, establish a safe space in which to discuss issues.
I'd like to hear from anybody who has an ongoing relevant ESL project.

Nancy Davies

Nance