letter name pronunciation

From: carlrw@vicnet.net.au
Date: Sat Mar 29 1997 - 21:05:20 EST

From: carlrw@vicnet.net.au
Date: Sun, 30 Mar 1997 13:05:20 +1100
To: NIFL-ESL@LITERACY.NIFL.GOV
Subject: letter name pronunciation

Hi Abbie!

On 29th March you wrote:

>Hi.  Once you start thinking about it, opportunities for spelling and
>numbers will leap out at you.  For example, when we talk about food, I
>dictate a recipe (in lower levels, just the numbers; in higher, the words
>too) or a shopping list.  Around Thanksgiving we often talk about native
>Americans and I dictate names of tribes and numbers of people in them.
>There's lots of stuff like that in the World almanac... Olympic sports and
>medal winners, whatever.  Abbie Tom

Hmmm.... yes that's a good idea! I could do that here with the names of
Australian Aboriginal tribes. I suspect that most non- Aboriginal
Australians know more native American tribe names than Aboriginal ones!

Abbie, are your students adults? What's your class profile like? What are
their language backgrounds? (This is so I can correlate strategies with
student types.)

Cheers,

Mex Butler.