Re: Request for information

From: carlrw@vicnet.net.au
Date: Sat Mar 22 1997 - 21:42:38 EST

Date: Sun, 23 Mar 1997 13:42:38 +1100
To: nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov
From: carlrw@vicnet.net.au
Subject: Re: Request for information

>Wanted:  Math for ESL Adults.  Real-life story problems and basic math.
>Beginning to intermediate.
>
>Joyce Lewison

"Mathematics: A New Beginning" (ed) Marr, B. and Helme, S. State Training
Board, Melbourne, Australia 1987. $33.00 + postage

"Strength in Numbers: A resource book for teaching adult numeracy" Goddard,
R., Marr, B. and Martin, J.: Holmesglen College of TAFE, Holmesglen, Vic.
Aust 1991 $A36.00 + postage

Both these and some other good titles are available from
        ARIS (Adult Basic Ed Resource & Information Service)

ARIS, NLLIA
GPO Box 372F
Melbourne, Vic
Australia 3001

I'm an adult literacy and numeracy teacher and these are the best things
I've ever found. They have photocopiable worksheets and a good clear
explanation of how to use each activity. They follow a very logical
developmental process from complete beginner stage onwards. My ESL students
always enjoy doing these activities, and they generate a lot of good
focused interaction.

If you ring or fax ARIS they can send you a brochure about them.
Fax: +61 3 96294708

Mex Butler.