RE: TESOL invitation

From: Heide Wrigley (hwrigley@aiweb.com)
Date: Sun Mar 02 1997 - 21:21:06 EST

From: Heide Wrigley <hwrigley@aiweb.com>
Newsgroups: nifl.esl
Subject: RE: TESOL invitation
Date: 2 Mar 1997 21:21:06 -0500
Sender: listproc@literacy.nifl.gov

Hi, Fran

thanks for the invite -

Below is the more or less official description of the academic session
that Mary McGroarty, Kip Tellez and I are part of.

The discussion is based in part on the task force for TESOL and
community involvement.  We'll talk about (1) the task force report,  (2)
the concerns and interests of adults and children have (based on
interviews and focus groups  conducted with family literacy and migrant
head start programs),  and (3) the implications for teacher education.
We are hoping to hear from all those who are interested in making family
literacy and family involvement programs work for language minority
families.

Academic session: Reconsideration of Community Partnerships
                               Thurs. 3/13/97, 4--4:45 PM

Presenters: Mary McGroarty, Heide Spruck Wrigley, Kip Tellez

various
forms of partnerships between school, community, and language minority
families.
Based on current theory and research, we discuss changing definitions of
partnerships, from a "normative"
view based principally on the expectations and perceptions that school
personnel have of immigrant families, to a "transformative" view, where
colloborations are built on what matters to parents, children, and
youth.

Heide Spruck Wrigley

Heide Spruck Wrigley
Senior Research Associate