Re: TPR

From: ESLTEACHER (teacher@amanda.dorsai.org)
Date: Sat Mar 01 1997 - 22:19:24 EST

Date: Sat, 1 Mar 1997 22:19:24 -0500 (est)
From: ESLTEACHER <teacher@amanda.dorsai.org>
To: nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov
Cc: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: Re: TPR

On Sat, 1 Mar 1997, Vicki Dow wrote:
> I have just joined this listserve and am wondering if any of you have
> used TPR (Total Physical Response) for teaching a second language?  I
> would like to hear how effective, or ineffective, it is.  Also, I would
> like to know the skill level this  curriclum serves.  I look forward to
> hearing from you!

I use TPR here and there. I have a lot of very skeptical adult students who
aren't even very sure that they aren't too cool to clap when we need to
clap hands for some reason. But once in a while I get them up and moving
around.  A fun TPR thing to do when you're in the doldrums is to simply
"Do the Hokey Pokey".  Simon Says is also fun.  I use them with any of my
levels I can get to do them, but beginners are usually most fascinated
because all of it is new.
Meg

ESL Teacher

"You must be the change you wish to see in the world." Gandhi
The ESL/EFL/ESOL Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) file is available at:
WWW:     http://linguistic-funland.com/mele-faq.html
Usenet:  misc.education.language.english