soup kitchen education?

From: Fran Keenan (fran@cal.org)
Date: Mon Jan 27 1997 - 12:02:17 EST

Date: Mon, 27 Jan 1997 12:02:17 -0500
From: Fran Keenan <fran@cal.org>
To: nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov
Subject:  soup kitchen education?

An active discussion about the field of adult literacy is ensuing on
the NLA list. I am crossposting David Rosen's  (NLA list moderator)
thoughts about how literacy (and ESL) programs need to demand
adequate resources to do our jobs well......Please respond to
NIFL-ESL if this provokes you! (FK)

On January 24th, David wrote:

"Part of the "ineffectiveness" problem you refer to is certainly that
we need more research -- to identify what IS working and why, and how
effective models  can be replicated.   But a greater problem, I
think, is that we are a marginalized field.  Like day care, food, and
temporary shelter providers who help people who are poor and often
powerless, we accept unacceptable conditions and resources because we
see so much need.

How can adult literacy programs be effective if the average national
expenditure is (I think well under $200 per student per year
including matching funds but I haven't checked recently) ?  How can
programs be effective when the intensity of their services (number of
hours per student per year) is in the tens of hours per year ?  How
can programs be effective if good teachers cannot afford to continue
to work in the field unless they are supported by another job or
person with a decent salary and health benefits?  How can we be taken
seriously if we do not demand high standards, reasonable resources and
research and evaluation to help us improve what we are doing and to
show what we can accomplish.  I wonder why -- instead of refusing to
turn away yet another person on a waiting list for a class already
overcrowded -- we learners, teachers and other adult literacy
practitioners don't organize state and national campaigns to expose
this outrage and change it.

Researchers could help us by identifying models that work, and for
each of these (very different models, depending on their goals)
identifying a reasonable cost per student, one that includes for
examples: an effective service intensity level (how many hours per
week, how many weeks?), staffing pattern, staff and program
development allocation, adequate print and nonprint resources, and a
reasonable budget for technology and technology staff development.

As we look to new legislative proposals this year at the state and
national levels we must ask for allocations of resources that are
consistent with standards for achieving _effective_ programs -- not
simply to offer more students "soup kitchen"* adult education.  This
may mean -- even with additional resources --that we must serve fewer
students to increase the quality of what we offer each student."

David Rosen
NLA List Moderator, not feeling moderate today
<DJRosen@world.std.com>

* I am indebted to former Massachusetts Senator Gerald D'Amico,
Chairman of the State Education Committee and Director of the
Commonwealth Literacy
Campaign who -- as a newcomer to the adult literacy field -- saw so
clearly how inadequate our resources were and said that what he saw
was the educational equivalent of soup kitchens.