National Institute for Literacy

[EnglishLanguage 3590] Re: Working withlearners with limitedliteracy - posted for Martha Bigelow

Elaine Tarone etarone at umn.edu
Mon Jan 26 19:59:29 EST 2009

Learning a first language as a child is a very different process from
learning a second language as an adult. An obvious difference is the
influence of the native language on the adult's second language,
something that doesn't occur in first language acquisition. And,
children acquiring a first language have at least 4 years to listen
to and speak their first language before they have to start reading
and writing it. Immigrant adults with major funding deadlines do not
have that luxury; they have to learn to read and write at the same
time they are learning the oral second language. And *if* they don't
already know how to read their native language using an alphabetic
script, then their learning process has to be very very different
from that of literate adults acquiring a second language.

Most ESL teachers probably learned to represent the phonemes of
their native language with visual symbols ('letters') so long ago
that they no longer remember how they perceived oral language before,
whether they noticed phonemes, etc. It's easy for them to assume
that their students notice the same aspects of oral language that
they do. But, there is now evidence that having a visual sign to
represent, for example, the 's' at the end of a word helps us to
notice that ending in oral input. There's also evidence that
alphabetic literacy helps us to notice changes in word order that
don't affect meaning. R. Schmidt presents evidence that if we don't
notice something in the second language input, we don't acquire it.

There are several research studies in cognitive psych (with
monolingual adults) showing that if they do not have alphabetic
literacy -- that is, if they do not represent sound segments with
visual symbols -- they don't do as well as literate counterparts in
their native language on certain oral tasks requiring awareness of
linguistic units. (By the way, illiterate adults do just as well on
rhyming tasks and oral word meaning tasks. And there's a great study
done by Read at Madison showing that well educated Chinese adults who
are logographically literate but not alphabetically literate in
Chinese don't do well on phonological awareness tasks. That's
important, because they are not only schooled but well educated,
middle class, successful professionals who clearly process oral
Chinese just fine -- but they don't have alphabetic literacy, and
they don't seem to need phonological awareness. They process oral
Chinese some other way. )

It seems clear that given these findings, teaching an illiterate or
low literate adult an oral second language has to be different from
teaching an oral L2 to someone who has alphabetic literacy. We need
to learn what works with low literate and illiterate adults, from the
ground up ... what makes things stick in their memory when they hear
oral second language input? what gets noticed? word order? content
words? function words? what helps these words get retained? does
rhyme and rhythm help? Does whole body movement help?

And that's just about learning to process *oral*l second language --
what about learning to *read* a second language? Is it better to
learn to read the native language first? does reading instruction
start out better as a whole word approach with this population? how
then does one transition to acquiring sound-symbol correspondence?
does rhyme help? This is where we need perceptive teachers to tell
us what they see going on.