National Institute for Literacy

[EnglishLanguage 3580] Re: ESL software

Elaine Tarone etarone at umn.edu
Mon Jan 26 16:19:40 EST 2009

After taking a quick look at this website, I have the impression that
it is primarily targeted at kindergarten age children, and possibly
monolingual ones at that. I think we need to be careful not to
misapply reading curricula designed for monolingual English-speaking
children, to adolescents or adults with low literacy skills who are
learning to read for the first time in a second language. The issues
are typically quite different for these two types of learners.