National Institute for Literacy

[EnglishLanguage 3514] Re: oral vs reading traditions

Bonnie Odiorne bonniesophia at sbcglobal.net
Tue Jan 20 09:49:55 EST 2009

Regarding the "layer of code," language itself is already an implicit code and transmits hierarchies and structures by its very grammar, syntax, and vocabulary. I'm thinking also of Stephen Brookfield's thinking on critical thinking, where structures of power (social institutions) and hegemony (self interest) shape the most "basic" and "natural" assumptions that  people hold when problem solving and decision making. (There's Critical thinking for adults would be to begin to be aware of these assumptions that are inherent in language. What they do about that awareness would, I presume, be up to them.
Bonnie Odiorne, Writing Center, Post University bonniesophia at sbcglobal.net