National Institute for Literacy

[EnglishLanguage 3469] managing programs for adult English language programs

marjorie richards marjorie03 at earthlink.net
Fri Jan 16 16:29:03 EST 2009

Hi all! I am a lurker but I wanted to speak to the issue of managing ESOL
programs. I have been the program coordinator of an ESOL program for a
non-profit agency for about 4 years and an ESOL instructor for 6. It is my
understanding that ESOL programs look different in different states; some
states (like Washington) have primarily served the immigrant refugee
population in the community college. Other states have channeled funding
for these programs in to non-profit agencies. Because the community
colleges tradtionally cut many ABE/ESOL prorams when money gets tight, I am
looking at adding a state/federally funding ESOL program to what my agency
provides. I had been teaching a preliterate class in the community college
system for the last 3 years, but with recent budget cuts here, the
preliterate level has been essentially eliminated.

I am posting because I want to know what others thoughts are about shifting
ESOL programs out of the community colleges into community based agencies.
I think that these institutions can often serve the lower level students
better than most colleges. At the same time, most agencies don't have the
budget that colleges have. Are there some models of programs that are
really thriving? My concern is making sure instructors are paid fairly,
that students feel engaged and served by the learning and connected to a
community. And how do all of us; as instructors and programmers not burn
out in this climate? How do we make sure that budget tightening does not
become an excuse to assume that programs that have traditionally been
dominated by women employees will pick up the slack?

Marjorie Richards
ESL Coordinator
Southwest Youth and Family Services
4555 Delridge Way SW / Seattle, WA 98106

<mailto:mrichards at swyfs.org>
<mailto:mrichards at swyfs.org>