National Institute for Literacy

[EnglishLanguage 4111] New ESL/ESOL Family Literacy Videos in the Media Library of Teaching Skills (MLoTS)

David J. Rosen djrosen1 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 1 17:25:59 EDT 2009

Colleagues,

On the Media Library of Teaching Skills (MLoTS) web site, http://mlots.org, we have just posted several new video and audio files that we recorded in an ESL/ESOL family literacy class in Chelsea, Massachusetts in January. The Chelsea Intergenerational Literacy Program uses team teaching and volunteer tutors in teaching adults English language skills and family literacy content. This set of free, short, online videos focuses on one class in a series on how parents can support early literacy and childrens' reading.

The MLoTS web site includes other classroom and tutoring videos in a range of adult literacy education areas including numeracy, adult secondary education, basic literacy, reading and writing and others. MLoTS also links to many more short, free, online adult education classroom videos made by others in our field. MLoTS' purpose is to provide a window into classrooms and tutorials that adult education teachers, programs and literacy resource centers can use for professional development activities.The MLoTS-made videos are linked to state adult education content standards, research and/or best practices.

We would love to have your comments on the ESL/ESOL family literacy videos, or on any of the MLoTS videos. We would also be glad to provide you with information on how MLoTS might work with professional development organizations or other agencies in your state to enable you to make your own classroom videos to be posted on the MLoTS web site.

David J. Rosen, President
Media Library of Teaching Skills
djrosen at mlots.org