National Institute for Literacy

[EnglishLanguage 4078] Re: Post critical period oral L2 learning ofadults w/low L1 litearcy

robinschwarz1 at aol.com robinschwarz1 at aol.com
Sun Mar 22 23:15:20 EDT 2009

Marjorie--I think the studies Elaine Tarone refers to, plus others that have been done on adult illiterates shed some light on this issue.  Elaine referred to these a few posts ago in response to Steve Kaufman.   Castro-Caldes, one of the researchers who has done several studies on adult non-literates, says that education/literacy is literally a "revolution in the brain"--that is, the effects of learning to learn and organizing learning into systems are almost limitless.

Other studies give more indication of what that means.  Several studies indicate that illiterates, for example, do not scan visual fields in the same way that literate persons do-- a HUGE implication for the way we teach, since we assume that anyone looking at a page is looking at it in the same way we are-- nor do they visually notice the things that literate persons are likely to notice.   A report from a literacy program in Nepal noted that the illiterates in that program did not understand stories in pictures.  They had to be taught frame by frame about the story before they could put it together as a visual sequence.

The studies indicating that non-literates have normally less-developed phonological skills (e.g. they do not identify internal phonemes in words presumably because they do not yet have the information to think about words as visual things with chunks that can be isolated and manipulated) tell us that to teach these learners, we need to start at the very beginning in terms of20phonological awareness, just as pre-kindergarten students are taught.   In English, a child at the end of first grade can fully identify words in oral sentences, phonemes in words, move phonemes around and both recognize and produce rhyme, all skills well documented to be critical to competent reading in English.   If non-literate learners do not have these skills, they will struggle in many ways as they attempt to learn literacy. Furthermore, these skills need to be taught in the context of establishing a broad verbal base in English before the learners are faced with visual materials and text. (See the wise comments on this and suggestions for building skills from the very beginning in the Tacoma, WA handbook, " Keeping it Real). One nice study out of West Africa, designed to address the lack of phonological awareness an uneducated adult necessarily has, showed that adults becoming literate did far better when their phonological awareness was strengthened systematically.

Not only is the "revolution in the brain" about how the brain learns, but also about how the learner learns.   Persons with no exposure to formal education are likely to be unaware of the purpose of activities they are asked to do in the classroom, so time should be taken to help them thoroughly understand what they need to do to learn something.  For example, in our school, where we have large numbers of persons with no prior education,  learners often continue to copy very very slowly, thinking that accuracy
in forming letters and copying words is what is wanted.   These learners often need a lot of demonstration and convincing, along with an awful lot of chances to strengthen their fine motor muscles, in order to get them to try to write a little faster.

>From my experience, and through close observation of non-literate persons, study of reports of what works with them and ransacking of the literature,  I contend that rarely do educators start back far enough in the critical pre-literacy skills of visual discrimination and visual motor integration, phonological awareness and fine motor skills, along with basic school skills for these learners.   To put it bluntly, starting with the alphabet is like starting in graduate school for these non-literate brains.  Much work needs to be done before the alphabet makes sense to these learners.   (And it doesn't help that the alphabet is invariably taught with both cases at once, which means that learners are trying to learn about 42 dfferent symbols, not 26, and have no basis for understanding why letters need to be different sizes or different letters need to be used).

I have written here before of evidence that the effects of non-literacy linger for a while and even students who appear to be surviving and progressing in literacy are still very confused by the variety of ways to complete activities on worksheets, in books and in class-- which goes back to the visual scanning issues mentioned at the beginning of these comments.

So yes, there IS different neurological wiring in the non-literate brain because it has not yet attained the neurological pathways and circuits that literacy builds.  Add to that the reduced plasticity of the older brain and that literacy is being learned in a new language which neuroscience tells us is much harder for the adult brain to hear and process, and the picture indicates clearly that learning literacy is going to be effortful and slower than we might hope for these learners.

While no one study is broad enough to cover all of these factors, the cumulative evidence is persuasive as to this need to start slowly and at the real beginning.

Robin Lovrien Schwarz, Independent Consultant in Adult ESOL/Education and Learning Difficulties