National Institute for Literacy

[EnglishLanguage 4054] Re: certification of pharmacists via TOEFL

Terry Pruett-Said said at ameritech.net
Fri Mar 20 11:06:13 EDT 2009

While there are always complaints about the TOEFL, there may be other reasons why your students aren't getting better scores. I used to be a grader of Speak tests made by ETS (I think they're called something else now), and students were marked down for "canned" answers which it sounds like your students may give. In fact, I don't think there is a speaking part on the TOEFL, just listening, so I'm assuming they are taking a new version of the SPEAK test. Although they may have practice questions, that does not mean these are the actual questions on the test. Your students have to show they can understand and answer any kind of question fluently and reasonably accurately. I say understand because sometimes students who had studied review questions were so much expecting a certain question, that they would give an answer that didn't actually answer the question well. The students aren't just being evaluated on their grammatical correctness. In fact, they
would probably be marked down more for a canned or off-topic answer than small grammar errors.

My recommendation would be to get them away from focusing just on the questions, and do activities that improve their actual listening and speaking skills overall. This might include some sort of speaking/listening activity that they do with other native speakers. We ESL teachers are sometimes so used to hearing non-native English that we can understand our students better than most people can. You might also have them listen to podcasts so that they get used to hearing information electronically.

Do they already have pharmacy degrees? Or do they need the scores to get into a pharmacy program? Have they taken college classes yet in the US? If they don't need the score right now, they would be better served by taking some college classes first where they will get real live experience in listening.

Terry Pruett-Said
EAPP coordinator
Macomb Community College
Warren, Michigan