National Institute for Literacy

[EnglishLanguage 3849] Re: workplace texts

Wrigley, Heide heide at literacywork.com
Wed Feb 4 18:28:47 EST 2009

Dottie

If you are looking for a curriculum that speaks directly to language skills for the Hotel Industry, check out Hotel T.E.A.C.H. developed by the Center for Immigrant Education and Training at LaGuardia Community College - It was developed as part of a federal demonstration project. I like the fact that there are Podcasts that students can listen to in class, in the lab or at home (the project got free MP3 players for all the students).

The English in the Podcasts may move a bit fast for your beginning students but the short scenarios give you an excellent idea of the kinds of situations students might face who work "in back of the house" in a hotel (as opposed at the front desk which is a whole other story and not likely to happen for LEP students whose English is still at the beginning level)

The curriculum is free and on-line at

http://www.laguardia.edu/ciet/workforce_TEACH_curriculum.aspx

Best

Heide