National Institute for Literacy

[EnglishLanguage 3830] Re: how difficult is English? (even longer)

Steve Kaufmann steve at thelinguist.com
Mon Feb 2 14:43:35 EST 2009

I attach the new words to my existing knowledge via a bilingual dictionary,
which is an essential tool for language learning. Since looking things up in
a conventional dictionary is time consuming, and since I almost immediately
forget what I found in the dictionary, an online dictionary is ideal. Words
looked up online can be saved to a database where all kinds of useful things
can be done with them, flash cards, tagging, reviewing by date, by content,
by importance, reviewing phrases where the words occurred in familiar
content that I have listened to and read etc..but I digress.

Ultimately I remember words if I see them or hear them often enough in
interesting contexts. Any words that are given to me out of context, lists
of colours, cognates, days of the week, numbers or whatever, I find hard to
learn and distracting. My main motivation is to understand the content I am
listening to and reading, and to meet more words, words that are new and
that I look up, and words that I have already learned and forgotten, which
can appear highlighted in new content.

No in a classroom, with no access to a computer, the problems are different.
However, if all you students are Spanish speaking, you can tell them the
meaning in Spanish.

Steve Kaufmann
www.lingq.com