National Institute for Literacy

[EnglishLanguage 3740] Re: NY Times article and follow up to today'sdiscussion

Helaine Marshall Helaine.Marshall at liu.edu
Thu Jan 29 14:41:24 EST 2009

Martha points to the mismatch in perspectives:

"Another excellent point that was raised was that there is typically an

enormous mismatch between teachers' experience with school and literacy
and

their students experience. How do we as teachers living in a
hyper-literate

world develop understandings that would help us bridge the instructional

gap?"

I would argue that a good starting point and a major point to get across
to such teachers is that literacy is not either natural or necessary as
a means to learning but rather a priority for the educational system in
this society. The students we are discussing may not come to us sharing
that priority and we need to acknowledge that.

Here is a journal entry from a Vietnamese student who was looking back
at his early experiences as a late-teen arriving in the U.S. with no
literacy:

"The most importants I have learned about the United States that is a
book, newspapers, or notebook and pens. These things are always let me
know how to live here.

...I always remember the books are the most important things for me to
learn when I live in the United States." [sic] (DeCapua and Marshall,
forthcoming)

I was touched by this entry (and similar ones from other learners)
because he made the connection between literacy and success here - not
success on the planet in general. A lesson for all of us in gaining
perspective on our task of assisting such learners to transition to
literacy in a positive upbeat manner.

Helaine W. Marshall

Long Island University