National Institute for Literacy

[EnglishLanguage 3714] Re: Post critical period oral L2 learning ofadults w/low L1 litearcy

Steve Kaufmann steve at thelinguist.com
Wed Jan 28 18:03:19 EST 2009

I have learned Chinese, Japanese, Russian and Korean where the Roman
alphabet is of no help. I have not found closed captioning in the target
language to be helpful until you are very far along in the language. You
cannot read that fast in a strange script until you are advanced.

I recommend combining reading and listening as the main learning tools, and
treating movies strictly as entertainment, and as a means to connect with
the culture, which is of course very motivating.

Steve Kaufmann
www.lingq.com