National Institute for Literacy

[EnglishLanguage 3694] Re: Advice on preparing my students for the new Naturalization test

Sally Bishop s.bishop at aggiemail.usu.edu
Wed Jan 28 14:42:45 EST 2009

The old test had specific sentences that students could memorize. Frankly,
this was extremely useful for students with learning disabilities because
USCIS offers no waivers for this population without medical proof. The new
test provides vocabulary that can be formulated into sentences. Therefore,
when the applicant goes in for the interview he/she has no idea what the
sentences will be. Provide lots of writing practice using the USCIS
vocabulary.

One suggestion made by someone on a list similar to this was to give each
student a mock interview. At first, I wasn't inclined to do this, but now
I hold an interview with each individual at the end of the series of
classes. The benefits are that it gives applicants an idea of their
strengths and weaknesses and builds their confidence.
SB