National Institute for Literacy

[EnglishLanguage 3548] Re: American food

Sandees32605 at aol.com Sandees32605 at aol.com
Thu Jan 22 16:54:18 EST 2009

In a message dated 1/22/2009 11:17:04 AM Eastern Standard Time,
jhoward at thecenterweb.org writes:

it became clear that recipes
for ESL classes don't have to be unusual or complex.

True. A good many students may not be used to having an oven in the home
kitchen or with the Fahrenheit scale. Some students may also be unable to
resist opening the oven door to peek at progress - every few minutes. I
discovered this problem only after students complained to me that the
cakes/cookies/muffins they tried never turned out.

Baked potatoes - great idea - also inexpensive. We also tried tuna salad,
Pilsbury crescent rolls - gasps when the package popped open -, popcorn, and
many many other simple simple foods.

Take your cue from students' questions - what have they tried that they
actually liked?

Enjoy
Sue Sandeen
ESOL