National Institute for Literacy

[EnglishLanguage 3520] Re: oral vs reading traditions

Andrea Wilder andreawilder at comcast.net
Tue Jan 20 19:43:14 EST 2009

Steve and others--

Another language exchange! My Thai student has picked up on the
rhythm of English, just as you suggested she should, so thank you
very much. Now here's the request, to anyone reading this. (I think
the subject line covers this.) When I have students from other
countries living here, I am always interested in their recipes and
their food--today my Thai student said all she knew about American
food was steak, turkey, and apple pie! I can make a little booklet
of American recipes for her--what would this list suggest? We both
like cooking together. She likes spicy food best, but I don't want to
limit the cookbook to spicy. Thanks for your ideas!

Andrea :)

On Jan 20, 2009, at 11:17 AM, Steve Kaufmann wrote:

> Andrea,

> There are many language exchange sites on the web. LingQ is one,

> but LingQ also has lots of language content and a vocabulary review

> engine built in. That would be cheaper and more efficient and more

> interesting, especially if you already have some knowledge of the

> language. I spend most of my Russian study time listening on an

> Ipod while cleaning the kitchen or driving etc.. I occasionally

> join Russian conversations via Skype, but I earn back the cost by

> tutoring in English, so it is a wash.

> Steve

> www.lingq.com

> On Tue, Jan 20, 2009 at 7:30 AM, Andrea Wilder

> <andreawilder at comcast.net> wrote:

> Steve--Here's my problem. I had sort of adequate French years ago.

> Now I want to upgrade without going to France. My time is so

> tight--that's why I thought of a CD/DVD program. Maybe also I can

> join a conversational group here.

> Andrea

> On Jan 19, 2009, at 7:27 PM, Steve Kaufmann wrote:

>> My son used it for Japanese and found it very limited in terms of

>> vocabulary covered, and annoying in terms of the exercizes. I

>> believe the starter courses I mentioned are more effective and

>> less expensive. In any case, they just get you started.

>> Steve

>> On Mon, Jan 19, 2009 at 1:19 PM, Andrea Wilder

>> <andreawilder at comcast.net> wrote:

>> Steve--Have you used Rosetta Stone?

>> Andrea

>> On Jan 19, 2009, at 12:32 PM, Steve Kaufmann wrote:

>>> You can buy a starter course for a language, or borrow one at the

>>> library. Teach Yourself, Colloquial, Assimil, Pimsleur, these are

>>> just a few. To go further in a language, there is an abundance of

>>> content on the web, podcasts, radio stations and the like. At

>>> first you have to listen repeatedly to a limit range of content,

>>> but in time, as you understand better, you do not listen as

>>> often and instead cover more and more interesting content. I do

>>> not worry about how to pronounce things until I have been

>>> listening for at least 6 months or more.

>>> For my Russian I have enjoyed audio books, and right now

>>> especially enjoy a wonderful source of radio interviews complete

>>> with transcripts. both of which are available for free download

>>> daily.

>>> Much of this kind of content is available in our language

>>> libraries at LingQ, and anything that is not free of copyright

>>> can be still imported into t he system for pesonal use, but

>>> cannot be shared.

>>> The Internet and the MP3 player have exploded the opportunities

>>> for finding sound content and carrying it with you. Language labs

>>> www.lingq.com

>>> On Mon, Jan 19, 2009 at 6:55 AM, Andrea Wilder

>>> <andreawilder at comcast.net> wrote:

>>> Steve--"Listening to recordings," what ones are you listening

>>> to? Programs? Radio?

>>> Thanks!