National Institute for Literacy

[EnglishLanguage 3468] Re: managing programs for ESL

Amy Baker abaker at hispanicinterest.org
Fri Jan 16 16:43:39 EST 2009

Hi All,
I am excited to be a part of this discussion list!

I am interested in advice from anyone who has managed a small [in its early
days at least] ESL program for a nonprofit agency. I am also interested in
collaborating with K12 schools through this agency to provide high-quality
ESL instruction to families.

Our nonprofit is well-established and has been recognized statewide and
nationally for many of the services it provides, however the ESL program is
small, currently two classes per semester. I am the Language Programs
Coordinator and I teach one of the classes. I have a MA in EESL, a TESOL
certificate, and 9 years experience teaching ESL. I have experience
building ESL programs in the public schools, but not at a nonprofit and not
for adults.

Any advice, insight, or suggestions from someone with similar experience
would be greatly appreciated. Our biggest concern is making sure the
instruction remains high quality while funds are extremely limited.

Fortunately we have many connections with local ESL teachers, family
literacy programs, and the local University, which has an EXCELLENT EESL MA
program. This will be a tremendous help!

Thank you!
Best to you all in your endeavors!

Amy Baker

--