National Institute for Literacy

[EnglishLanguage 3456] Re: managing programs for adultEnglishlearners

Janet Isserlis Janet_Isserlis at brown.edu
Fri Jan 16 11:40:13 EST 2009

to add to MaryAnn's excellent insights, key question that arise for me focus
around a person's ability to listen, to know what it is she or he knows and
doesn't know and how to ask questions to get the information s/he needs to
have in order to make well-informed decisions.

There are plenty of people with knowledge of the field who are not good
managers, plenty of good managers who don't know the field. We all know
that. In my view - as MaryAnn wisely suggests - it's not a Yes or No
question.

If a manager knows nothing about adult learning but knows that s/he needs to
learn key pieces about it in order to support the agency, then fine. If,
however, a manager refuses to listen or learn - no matter how gifted he or
she might be - the agency might survive financially, but what will happen to
its soul?

Again - there are rules, exceptions, individuals -- it really does depend on
what's going on in a particular agency. My own experience has been that
Professional Managers without content knowledge can do great good or great
harm. It's a complicated set of questions, which people here seem to be
acknowledging.

Janet Isserlis