National Institute for Literacy

[EnglishLanguage 3375] Re: quantifying student interest in material

robinschwarz1 at aol.com robinschwarz1 at aol.com
Wed Jan 14 11:40:52 EST 2009

Thank you Michael, for reminding us that oracy is the FIRST and important skill from which reading springs.

This discussion has two interesting threads-- one, that reading is somehow critical to thinking skills, and two, the related discussion of those who have difficulty dealing with reading from print.  Several thoughts come to mind in response to these discussions.

As for the idea that reading is critical to thinking skills, Michael is right in reminding us that oral traditions do not lack in thinking skill, though without doubt working with ideas through the medium of print provides a different way to deal with thinking about ideas.  In an article I read recently about the purposes of literacy, it was noted that a primary purpose of having a writing system is that it allows us to write down things we want to remember, thereby freeing up the brain's energy for more learning and language.   What also comes to mind, however, is that how different cultures and traditions use writing and reading varies tremendously.   While western thinking-- and therefore reading text and writing disciplines-- is very linear and logical, other cultures follow different patterns.  In some Asian cultures, the writer's purpose is to cause the reader to ponder and therefore it is bad form for the writer to explicitly state the point in writing.   In some South American traditions, and indeed, according to one of my professors, who is from Portugal, in her tradition, it is important20to write down virtually all one knows about a topic with no obvious organization-- or perhaps a sort of spiraling organization.   These differences in text organization and writing traditions are regularly discussed in ESL, where the impact is felt when we have students from different cultures who approach text and writing quite differently from the way western-trained learners do.

Take for example the very American habit of expressing opinions and supporting topic sentences or theses with evidence.  When some of my very educated ESL students at a well-known university were blamed by the ESL writing teachers for having no ideas and no opinions on anything and being unable to think about topics, I had a conversation with these students.   When asked when and how they gave opinions in their classrooms, they literally laughed outloud at the very notion, saying that if students gave opinions in their classes in their countries (these were students from around the globe), they would be expelled from class for defying or challenging the teacher.  Asked if they were ever asked to GIVE an opinion, they in turn asked WHY they would ever be requested to do so when the professor obviously knew all there was to know on a subject.   Needless to say, this attitude towards thinking and expressing opinions caused a great deal of trouble for these students in an American setting, as mentioned.  Often their unfamiliarity with the habit of saying things for oneself resuited in what we call
plagiarism-- largely because the students would say that the author had already said it so well, how could they say it better??  Many times students from some cultures are often said to plagiarize because they respect the author so much they do not want to change his or her words.

I have long been interested in how culture interacts with learning in ESL adults and that aspect is just one.  A more common issue for learners with basic education-- or sometimes higher education- is that they come from education systems where the sole method of displaying 'learning" is recitation of memorized material.   There is virtually no demand to process, analyze,  or otherwise interact with text other than to re-create it verbatim.  I taught in a system like that and literally did not believe it until I had been called on the carpet by the school administrators for not having my students do their "dictee" correctly. This practice is not limited to 3rd world countries or K-12 schools, either.  Last summer, I was talking about this issue in a workshop and one teacher/participant voluteered that she had been a student in a French university the previous year.  She said her final exam for her course at the unversity was to simply write verbatim her  "Notes de lecture"-- notes all students were expected to take at each lecture.  Nothing was asked about the actual meaning or use of the content!!

I now work in a school of over 1,000 adult ELLs from many cultures and this
is a very commonly encountered difficulty.  Yes, according to OUR standards, most of these students certainly lack critical thinking skills, and, just as they did when I worked in a college ESL setting,  when the teachers present material and lessons in which those skills are needed, conflicts arise as to what outcome is expected.

No amount of reading per se will result in a student acquiring critical thinking skills if he or she merely expects that reading and remembering the words is what is reading is.   Critical reading/thinking skills MUST be taught and CAN be acquired, not just by ESL students, but by anyone for whom those skills were, for some reason, not developed in early years of education.  One population in which they must be developed slowly and carefully is in non-literate learners who are becoming literate as adults.   I have found in many  years of both teaching these learners and studying those who do that often these learners expect that knowing the letters and sounds and being able to read words somehow results in reading comprehension.  It is a big cognitive leap for many to begin to use print to obtain information and to trigger thinking about a topic, no matter how mundane.   Royer ( 2004), who surveys literacy programs for the UN, notes  that in general, adult non-literates reach about 4th grade literacy, then plateau.  A part of that plateau is that they have not developed the critical thinking skills needed to go beyond the p
ure mechanics of reading.

Below are several readings on culture and reading/thinking-- Fox, who did a study at U Mass Amherst on the pervasiveness of culturally-learned learning habits, found that college ESL students persisted in using methods of writing and doing assignments learned in their culture despite having explicit instructions from their American professors, just as I found out anecdotally from my students that they were totally unfamiliar with and uncomfortable with the notion of expressing opinions.
And Koda, who has done exhaustive research on second language reading, has irrefutable evidence that ALL reading functions of second/multii-language readers are accessed first in first language.  This means how text is approached--where meaning lies physically in sentences, for example-- as well as where critical information (if it is expected to be there) is expected to be, depends on where and how a given learner learned to read and was educated.   For ESL instructors, this means we need to be aware of those possibilities and provide frequent, accessible, and incremental instruction in how students should access materials created in the US for US students.

Sorry if this is sort of covering several topics at once-- I am glad many have responded to the reading issue and LD.  One has only to look at the list of awardees of the Lab School of Washington's award for persons with LD who have Achieved at a High Levels to see that poor reading is not inversely correlated
with strong thinking skills-- we could look at that paradigm the other way, too, and wonder why it is that some people who read well cannot seem to employ critical thinking skills....or, as in the case of one of my relatives, why critical thinking skills were consciously put aside.....!

Robin Lovrien Schwarz

•    Fox, H. (1994). Listening to the World: Cultural Issues in Academic Writing. Urbana, IL, National Council of Teachers of English.
•    "Cross-cultural Awareness and the English-as-a Second-Language Classroom." (1984).  Irving, K. J. Theory into Practice XXIII(2).
•    Gutierrez, K. D. and B. Rogoff (2003). "Cultural ways of learning: Individual traits repertoires of practice." Educational Research 32(5).
Koda, K. (2004). Insights into second language reading. A cross-linguistic approach. New York: Cambridge University Press.
 Royer, J. M., Abadzi, H., & Kinda, J. (2004). The impact of phonological-awareness and rapid-reading training on the reading skills of adolescent and adult neoliterates. International Review of Education/Internationale Zeitschrift Fur Erziehungswissenschaft/Revue Internationale De l'Education, 50(1), 53-71.