[NIFL-TECHNOLOGY:2981] Re: distance learning assumptions

From: Tommy B. McDonell (tommy.mcdonell@nyu.edu)
Date: Thu Jul 24 2003 - 23:22:43 EDT

Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2003 23:22:43 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: nifl-technology@literacy.nifl.gov
From: "Tommy B. McDonell" <tommy.mcdonell@nyu.edu>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-technology@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-TECHNOLOGY:2981] Re: distance learning assumptions

Fran, Mostly I hear about number one. The reason most often given for number
one isn't based on funding though, but on classroom space. People think it
should be cheaper because you aren't funding a classroom. However, as most
IT people will tell you, even a not so great site like BB costs a lot of
money.

I've never heard that you don't need a teacher for distance learning but I
have heard that it takes too much time to teach in a distance learning
course. I have mixed feelings about this--I think it depends on your
knowledge of how to teach through DL.

As for 3, alas, no one where I work believes that. I wish they did,
somewhat. For example, no one believes that even freshman who speak English
as their first language can learn how to write well through DL. And most
colleges who believe they have a low student:faculty ratio, believe, that DL
to be cost effective requires too many students in a class.

I find that unfortunately administrators know even less about DL than they
do about teaching F2F.

A recent online class that I took students from Portugal discussed how their
ESL program uses video effectively in DL. What they didn't discuss however
was the cost and the design of the program. I belong to a significant amount
of listservs, some like this where the people are basically not techie, and
some where they are very techie and not as pedagogically oriented. Alas,
though, I never hear answered what I want to know--how much is it to set up
such a system?

Take care. Tommy

Tommy B. McDonell
Adjunct Instructor,