[NIFL-TECHNOLOGY:2954] Re: tools for internet communication

From: Jklokker@aol.com
Date: Sat Jul 19 2003 - 11:39:35 EDT

Date: Sat, 19 Jul 2003 11:39:35 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: nifl-technology@literacy.nifl.gov
From: Jklokker@aol.com
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-technology@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-TECHNOLOGY:2954] Re: tools for internet communication

Ishrat, David & all--�
 I am one of the teachers whose class partcipated in the virtual classroom
visit project last year.� My class is a high-intermediate ESL class of adults in
Brooklyn; we partnered with a class of South African adults--mostly Zulu
speakers who are also learning English--who are studying computer literacy.� We
used our sites rather like Bulletin Boards where class writing and pictures were
posted on a regular basis.� Some of the writing related to questions
exchanged by the classes, other to field trips (we went to Ellis Island & several
members of the class went to a rally in support of public education in Albany).�
We also had both classes view the same movie--"Sarafina," which is about life
in South Africa during the apartheid era--and share responses. If you would
like to see a record of our work together, you could visit the web-site for my
class: http://brooklynesl.swsites.net.\ It is linked to the South African
class's site, too.�

All in all, the experience was exciting and interesting for all involved.�
The one frustration came when we tried to connect our classes directly for
chat.� I was able to get all of my students signed up for yahoo chat, but we were
never able to communicate with the South African students because of technical
difficulties that I still do not totally understand.� I would very much like
to hear from others who have had good or bad experiences using inter-class
chat.� I chose to use yahoo only because that is what I am most familiar with.�
Are there other chat providers, perhaps ones that are more convenient and more
appropriate for an academic setting?

Jay

Jay Klokker
jklokker@aol.com