[NIFL-TECHNOLOGY:2936] Re: Tech21 Project

From: David J. Rosen (DJRosen@theworld.com)
Date: Wed Jul 16 2003 - 22:25:16 EDT

Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2003 22:25:16 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: nifl-technology@literacy.nifl.gov
From: "David J. Rosen" <DJRosen@theworld.com>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-technology@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-TECHNOLOGY:2936] Re: Tech21 Project

Marian,

Thanks for sharing this information about the Tech21 Project.  I am
very interested in English for All. As a free, online course with video
segments (also available on videotape) I think it deserves our
attention here.  Tell us more about it if you wish.  Or if other
subscribers have questions, feel free to ask them and perhaps Marian --
or others who have used English for All -- will be able to answer them.

I want to check out our understanding of "supported distance learning
for adult basic skills students."  Here's mine:

The term "distance learning (DL)," for many people, suggests
correspondence courses, video broadcasts, or more recently independent
web-based courses.  This is what some,  Jere Johnston for example, call
"pure distance learning."  Hybrid distance learning or "supported
distance learning (SDL)" (Lennox McLendon used "supported distance
learning" in a discussion on the NLA e-list a couple of years ago and I
have used it since) is something different.  It is a combination of
real-time learning, usually face-to-face but not always in the same
room (e.g. videophone has been used in Delaware's adult high school
diploma program,) and independent, asynchronous  learning, which is
provided by videotape, TV broadcast, the Web, computer software, and/or
  print materials.  The  face-to-face instruction with a teacher or
tutor provides the "support," makes pure distance learning into a
hybrid model.   Supported distance learning is, of course, for people
who cannot, for a variety of reasons attend classes.  But it is also
for those who do attend classes but want more instruction (greater
"intensity of instruction") than is available through their class-based
learning.  Supported distance learning can be provided by schools,
education programs, and higher education but it can also be offered by
companies and other employers, organized labor, libraries, and other
organizations.

Given the long ESL/ESOL waiting lists in many parts of the U.S. (L.A.,
Boston, New York, and in other cities and towns) it seems to me that we
should consider ESL/ESOL which may be provided in this innovative way
as one way to help us reduce waiting lists.  But we also need to look
at how effective DL or SDL is -- for whom, and under what circumstances
  it is and is not effective, and how much it costs to deliver it
effectively.

David J. Rosen
Guest Moderator, NIFL-Technology
DJRosen@theworld.com