[NIFL-TECHNOLOGY:2879] Re: new member

From: Tommy B. McDonell (tommy.mcdonell@nyu.edu)
Date: Sat Jun 07 2003 - 19:09:26 EDT

Date: Sat, 7 Jun 2003 19:09:26 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: nifl-technology@literacy.nifl.gov
From: "Tommy B. McDonell" <tommy.mcdonell@nyu.edu>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-technology@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-TECHNOLOGY:2879] Re: new member

Hi. I'm not sure you can find them this way but rather you can do what I
have done. I am a doctoral candidate in TESOL at NYU but my specialty, if
you will, is in technology enhanced language learning (not CALL because it
is too limited to only computers). At almost any doctoral program I can
think of, you are the one who picks the subject of your dissertation. At NYU
you take your required foundation classes and then take two or more classes
that are outside your main field. I took two rather broad classes this way
as my Master's is in Interactive Telecommunications.

I think what you want is to find a university that has a strong technology
school for your other classes. NYU, Columbia University, University of
Virginia, U of M at East Lansing are some that I can think of. And of course
schools out west.

Another way to pick a university is to pick a researcher you admire and
write him or her and apply there to work with this person.

Hope this helps.

Tommy
Tommy B. McDonell
Adjunct Instructor,