[NIFL-TECHNOLOGY:2873] Re: Books

From: Sylvan Rainwater (sylvan@cccchs.org)
Date: Thu Jun 05 2003 - 16:54:25 EDT

Date: Thu, 5 Jun 2003 16:54:25 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: nifl-technology@literacy.nifl.gov
From: "Sylvan Rainwater" <sylvan@cccchs.org>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-technology@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-TECHNOLOGY:2873] Re: Books

Well, I suppose it all has to do with one's definition of technology. Maybe
the words should be "newer technology," since books and printing have been
around for quite a while (certainly that was a revolution of its own).

It can also be useful to think about technology like ATM machines, library
online card catalogs, photocopiers, FAX machines, telephones and voicemail,
or, for that matter, television and radio. Not to mention the many places
computers are that we don't think of (non-PC) like microwave ovens, cars,
etc.

I suspect the reason people focus on computers and the Internet is that it
appears to be a revolution comparable to that of the printing press, or the
invention of writing in the first place. It's certainly having a massive
impact on how we communicate with each other, how we teach, and on how
society organizes itself.

Sylvan Rainwater   .   mailto:sylvan@cccchs.org
Family Literacy Coordinator
Clackamas County Children's Commission/Head Start
Oregon City, Oregon