[NIFL-TECHNOLOGY:2853] Re: unweaving print vs. web text

From: Tommy B. McDonell (tommy.mcdonell@nyu.edu)
Date: Wed May 14 2003 - 23:19:06 EDT

Date: Wed, 14 May 2003 23:19:06 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: nifl-technology@literacy.nifl.gov
From: "Tommy B. McDonell" <tommy.mcdonell@nyu.edu>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-technology@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-TECHNOLOGY:2853] Re: unweaving print vs. web text

I'm brain dead and I have now read the article twice but can't remember what
age group you are talking about. I've pasted below info from my dissertation
proposal. And will paste in the reference. I have other references about
Internet and reading on the web. I'm sure you've read Reinking. (NIFL had
him last year I think).

The problem is that most of the studies are either qualitative (and not very
good qualitative) or they are done with graduate students which are hardly,
for the most part, low level. My study will be done with ESL (Gen 1.5), EFL
(International) and US students. (80-100 college students). But I'm looking
more at recall.

Here is a brief bit of info from my proposal. If I can, I'll find more next
week after Tuesday:

The few studies that are useful to my work involve school children not
college students. Horney and Anderson-Inman (1998) studied school children
who found it easier to read on the Internet. Gillingham's (Gillingham, 1993)
research showed just the opposite that hypertext slowed down searching for
an answer. Kamil argues there are three separate situations in which
hypertext may be seen: the literary version of hypertext where the reader
tries to create his or her own unique material; hypertext which allows one
to add information by providing readers the opportunity to explore the
material in greater depth; and the hypertext which permits students to
study. There is only a small body of research on hypertext and hypermedia
and very few of the empirical studies which discuss "the cognitive
consequences of reading this type of nontraditional text" (p. 773).

Tommy B. McDonell
Adjunct Instructor,
Marymount Manhattan College
Doctoral Candidate in TESOL-NYU