[NIFL-TECHNOLOGY:2827] Comments on the Unweaving the Web Study

From: David J. Rosen (DJRosen@theworld.com)
Date: Sat May 10 2003 - 16:47:37 EDT

Date: Sat, 10 May 2003 16:47:37 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: nifl-technology@literacy.nifl.gov
From: "David J. Rosen" <DJRosen@theworld.com>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-technology@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-TECHNOLOGY:2827] Comments on the Unweaving the Web Study

Hello Christina,

The "Unweaving the Web" Study is very helpful. Below are some of my
initial thoughts about it:

The study confirms the widely observed importance of (and my 1995-1996
research on) content interest such as: health information,
school/homework information, child care/parenting, Web-based job
searches, Web-based apartment searches, and  home country information.
"News" "weather," "history," "church/religion", "maps,"
"literature/poetry," "real estate/finance," "languages" and
"chat/e-mail" did not show up in my early research.

The observations on the kinds of assistance Web users sought was
interesting:  e.g. reminders needed to scroll, and to look for action
buttons.  The scrolling and action button problems are not a surprise to
me, but it was good to see these issues are confirmed.

I was reassured to see that unlabeled graphic links was found to be a
problem.  I have observed this problem with many new Web users,
especially low literate users.

I hadn't thought about pull down menus as a problem.  But, of course,
they would be if one had not seen this feature before.

I didn't know back arrows were a problem for some people.  Of course,
typing Web addresses is a problem for many people -- especially for
those who do not write well.  The observation that typing Web addresses
was experienced as a difficult transition, the 'dynamic jump from the
body ...to the small URL address window," was new for me.

Searching, of course, has many challenges, some of which your study
documented, as does judging reliability of Web information.

Your study supports the Children's' Partnership study findings that busy
Web pages are not attractive to low literate adults, and that they
present multiple barriers.

The problem of translation mirror sites which you raised was interesting
-- I hadn't thought about this.

The whole Further Study and Recommendations Section was great -- I
especially liked the user path history suggestion.

Christina, I am interested to know if you are aware of other studies of
low literate adults use of the Web which have been completed or which
may be in progress.

I would be interested to know, too, what struck others as interesting --
What did the study confirm for you?  What was new?

All the best,

David J. Rosen