[NIFL-ESL:9658] Re: TABE and Adult LAS for ESL

From: ttweeton@comcast.net
Date: Tue Nov 25 2003 - 12:59:01 EST

Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2003 12:59:01 -0500 (EST)
Sender: nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov
From: ttweeton@comcast.net
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-ESL:9658] Re: TABE and Adult LAS for ESL

It puzzles me as to  why  it took so long for the TABE finally to be recognized as  an inappropriate instrument for ESL assessment and placement. And to boot, some of our Adult programs used  to add in the Math scores to find  a total placement level  score, (!!) before we finally stopped doing that. Pretty awful!! We knew this a while back but there seemed to be no hurry to make a change at  our state level anyway. Perhaps it was because there was nothing else out there?
Tanya Tweeton
Adult ESOL
Broward County Florida