[NIFL-ESL:9656] Re: Standardized tests for ESL/ELL

From: Cynthia E. Shermeyer (cesherm@UDel.Edu)
Date: Tue Nov 25 2003 - 09:25:11 EST

Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2003 09:25:11 -0500 (EST)
Sender: nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov
From: "Cynthia E. Shermeyer" <cesherm@UDel.Edu>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-ESL:9656] Re: Standardized tests for ESL/ELL

I guess I am biased with the new BEST Plus - but I agree with Barb - it
not only looks good but is good. Okay I will admit I am a consultant and
do BEST Plus training for CAL - but I also was able to be in on the
field test and saw and experienced how this test operates with my
programs students. My program will be using the BEST for oral assessment
and we are excited to have something with a reliability of 97%/98%.
Barb - you are right - the scoring is what is the bumpiest but part of
that for some of our teachers is learning how to look at language
assessment holistically rather than discrete-point. For more information
on the BEST Plus - go to CAL's website. For those of you familiar with
the first BEST you are in for a WOW surprise!

Thanksgiving Wishes to all,
Cindy Shermeyer