[NIFL-ESL:9591] RE: Dialogue/reflective journals

From: Sylvan Rainwater (sylvan@cccchs.org)
Date: Fri Oct 31 2003 - 19:57:37 EST

Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2003 19:57:37 -0500 (EST)
Sender: nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov
From: "Sylvan Rainwater" <sylvan@cccchs.org>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-ESL:9591] RE: Dialogue/reflective journals

I used dialog journals for many years, until last year the students said
they didn't want them. The issue for them was that they wanted to write
about their lives in depth and do problem-solving/counseling, and they just
didn't have time to do that well.

I found the best time to write in the journals was right after the class
ended; otherwise they didn't get done.

This year I'm trying to have them do some more structured writing every day,
to make up for the writing practice they are missing by not doing journals.

-------
Sylvan Rainwater  mailto:sylvan@cccchs.org
Program Managaer Family Literacy
Clackamas Co. Children's Commission /  Head Start
Oregon City, OR  USA