[NIFL-ESL:9371] RE: "poem"

From: Cindi Riley (criley@lowcountryliteracy.org)
Date: Tue Sep 02 2003 - 16:44:56 EDT

Date: Tue, 2 Sep 2003 16:44:56 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov
From: "Cindi Riley" <criley@lowcountryliteracy.org>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-ESL:9371] RE: "poem"

Dear Joe:

Please don't make the mistake of thinking that the rest of the country is
anything like NYC and surrounding areas. What government aid could an
immigrant receive between 1998 and 2001? Non-citizens in SC haven't been
able to get TANF or food stamps for years around here. Must have been
something only available in NYC or the state of NY.

Over 50% of the students in my program completed an NRS level this fiscal
year. Our students realize that if they really want to progress in the US
they have to learn English. For some it's a struggle that they give up on
(mainly because they are illiterate in their first language) but most of our
students succeed through their hard work and perseverance. I know that
things are different in large cities where there are established cultural
communities that make it easier to not learn English, but in small towns and
rural areas it's much more of requirement to survive. Come visit us in
Hilton Head and Beaufort. I think you'll see the difference!

Cindi Riley
Assistant Director
Literacy Volunteers of the Lowcountry
1403 Prince St.