[NIFL-ESL:9348] Re: The English-Only Propoganda

From: Kevin Rocap (krocap@csulb.edu)
Date: Sun Aug 31 2003 - 19:50:05 EDT

Date: Sun, 31 Aug 2003 19:50:05 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov
From: Kevin Rocap <krocap@csulb.edu>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-ESL:9348] Re: The English-Only Propoganda

Dear Ken,

Quick correction.  You mention the "English-Only" activist JW Crawford.
Just the opposite. If you are referring to the James Crawford in the
bibliography of your e-mail, he has been one of the strongest research
and policy voices opposing English-Only and exposing the negative
ramifications of "official English" policy approaches (see his book "At
War with Diversity: U.S. Language Policy in an Age of Anxiety" among
others).  His website has great information on the positive value of
bilingualism, the myths of the "English-Only" movement and more.  He is
actually a kind of policy watchdog for attacks on the rights of languag
minority populations in the U.S., just FYI:

http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/JWCRAWFORD/

In Peace,
K.