[NIFL-ESL:9181] Re: Women learners

From: Sylvan Rainwater (sylvan@cccchs.org)
Date: Mon Jul 14 2003 - 13:20:20 EDT

Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2003 13:20:20 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov
From: "Sylvan Rainwater" <sylvan@cccchs.org>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-ESL:9181] Re: Women learners

It is true that more men learn on the job. Our program has primarily women
students, because we are a morning program, and most of the fathers are
working. The women can come because we also have classes for the children
and provide child care, which is critical for their participation. When
women get jobs where they have to learn English (or, as sometimes happens,
when they have, say, an English-speaking manager who is also interested in
learning Spanish, so they teach each other), they learn English faster than
in a classroom.

Men often attend evening classes, at a time when they are tired from having
worked all day. It's not surprising that their attendance would suffer.

We have two teachers: me (female) and my co-teacher, who is not only male
but also from Mexico, where most of the learners are from. It makes the
classes more interesting for the few fathers who can come, but also seems to
help the women relate more easily. I think a lot of that is the cultural
connection -- he knows what a teacher is supposed to look like, what he is
supposed to say, and what to do so that they pay attention to him. He also
knows more about their real lives, their problems, and can address them more
accurately. Having said all that, I have to say that he is also just a very
good teacher, and has enormous sensitivity and motivation to work very hard
with them.

I would also guess that this thread could be of interest to the NIFL list
focusing on women's literacy. Folks over there might have more information
or access to more research on this topic, or at least something related to
it.

Sylvan Rainwater   .   mailto:sylvan@cccchs.org
Family Literacy Coordinator
Clackamas County Children's Commission/Head Start
Oregon City, Oregon