[NIFL-ESL:9028] Re: Fw: low-level technology use

From: Pamela Brown (brownpg@jmu.edu)
Date: Fri May 23 2003 - 12:46:43 EDT

Date: Fri, 23 May 2003 12:46:43 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov
From: Pamela Brown <brownpg@jmu.edu>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-ESL:9028] Re: Fw: low-level technology use

Tina,

As part of an EL/Civics grant we received, I created a website for ESOL
learners to introduce them to their community, which in this case is
Rockingham County and Harrisonburg in Virginia. Thus, ESOL Main Street
(www.jmu.edu/esol) was born. With enhanced fundng, we took the show on the
road, so to speak, and pilot tested it in other parts of Virginia. Students
researched and wrote about their communities, using brochures, phone books,
the Internet, etc. to gather information. Those stories will soon be on the
website. The students ranged from beginning ESL to high intermediate level
learners.

You could do something similar using Main Street as a model. Students could
create a class book or bulletin board, or if your feeling daring, their own
website. Yahoo! Geocities has a free web design service that is really
quite easy -- it takes you through step-by-step. It's not too elaborate,
although you can add pictures and links. You do need a Yahoo! account,
though. (www.geocites.yahoo.com)

Let me know how your project goes.

Pam

--On Friday, May 23, 2003 11:58 AM -0400 Tina and Michael Kush

--
Brown, Pamela Greenhalgh
Workforce Improvement Network