[NIFL-ESL:8776] RE: NIFL's Policy

From: AWilder106@aol.com
Date: Thu Mar 06 2003 - 20:26:15 EST

Date: Thu, 6 Mar 2003 20:26:15 -0500 (EST)
Sender: nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov
From: AWilder106@aol.com
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-ESL:8776] RE: NIFL's Policy

Colleagues,

This couple of weeks has been horrible.

I have relied on Charles Januzzi's emails for intelligent discussion on linguistics. I am upset that I will not be able to read what he writes.

He got very angry and lost his temper, it happens.  Personal attacks? Not good from anyone.

"Professional?" Different strokes for different folks. I had blood drawn today (real blood) and the nurse acted so professional, so cool, so distant I got quite anxious.

"Pro-American" and "Anti-American?  The usual bromide about  criticism not necessarily being anti-American.  I criticize this country frequently, and have since before homeless people started to appear on the streets of the city where I live since the Reagan era.  "Morning in America?"  Dark for many.  I also fly an American flag, taken from my father's grave, he was in 2 world wars.  I don't see a clear line between people of light and people of dark as it is talked about these days.

I lived in a Moslem country, Pakistan, in Karachi, where Daniel Pearl was killed.  I knew people of  all faiths, at one time it was a very cosmopolitan city.

The greatest health needs were clean water and food.  The greatest social need was medical care.  This is intertwined with literacy. Sick people can't work, maybe they die. What does literacy do? The only causal relationship shown is between a mother's literacy and her children's health, followed by a decline in fertility--mother's have fewer babies when more of their children live.

In this country:

1) health care for all.
2) education for all.

These are social investments we should be making for our own citizens.  If there are "conservatives" who are against these two goals, then I would  be interested to hear how they, as teachers, justify their opinions.

Andrea