[NIFL-ESL:8731] Re: NIFL's Policy

From: Winston Lawrence (winstonl@lacnyc.org)
Date: Tue Mar 04 2003 - 13:54:17 EST

Date: Tue, 4 Mar 2003 13:54:17 -0500 (EST)
Sender: nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov
From: Winston Lawrence <winstonl@lacnyc.org>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-ESL:8731] Re: NIFL's Policy

I appreciate your effort to maintain decorum on this list-serv. Your
explanation of the unfolding of events is greatly appreciated. I think the
problem may well lie within the context of un moderated list-serv. I
remember my reactions when in the beginning of the discussions I saw some
personal attacks. I thought to myself, no offence intended, "Is the List
moderator sleeping or away? Didn't she/he see this"? I would suggest that
you intervene earlier whenever situations of this type occur. On some
lists, such comments would not pass. At a policy level, you need to
preserve the "netiquette", since many teachers/tutors view this list as an
important source of information to enhance their classroom instructional
practices. There is no need to turn them away, even unintentionally.
Winston Lawrence

Dr Winston Lawrence
Coordinator of Adult Literacy Services
Literacy Assistance Center