[NIFL-ESL:8488] graduate certificate in Adult Literacy/Biliteracy for Adults

From: Miriam Burt (miriam@cal.org)
Date: Fri Jan 24 2003 - 16:44:17 EST

Date: Fri, 24 Jan 2003 16:44:17 -0500 (EST)
Sender: nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov
From: "Miriam Burt" <miriam@cal.org>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-ESL:8488] graduate certificate  in Adult Literacy/Biliteracy for Adults

Janet Isserlis asked me to post this to the list. Please notice that Ana Macias asks that you respond to her directly. thanks. Miriam

Dear all,

Ana Macias has asked that I post this query to the list. Please respond to Ana directly at
<ahmacias@elp.rr.com>.

Many thanks

Janet Isserlis

Greetings everyone. I need some information that I thought some of you might help me with.
we are considering the development of a graduate certificate in Adult Literacy/Biliteracy Development at my university. The emphasis would be on native and second language development for adults. This would consist of 12 credits: 6 credits in the area of literacy; 3 credits for an internship; and 3 for a special focus class on issues in adult literacy/biliteracy.
Do any of you have a similar program at your university or college?
What does the program consist of?
Is it successful/popular in terms of enrollment? Is it available through on-line delivery?
To what extent might such a certificate be useful to practitioners in your area in terms of employment? (note that it is not a master's degree nor a state endorsement; it's basically a post-baccalaureate program).
Any advice is welcome. . . Thank you for your feedback!

Ana MacÌas