[NIFL-FOBASICS:910] A newcomer's plight

From: George Demetrion (george.demetrion@lvgh.org)
Date: Mon Dec 22 2003 - 11:38:34 EST

Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2003 11:38:34 -0500 (EST)
Sender: nifl-fobasics@literacy.nifl.gov
From: "George Demetrion" <george.demetrion@lvgh.org>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-fobasics@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-FOBASICS:910] A newcomer's plight

A while back, one of our local newspapers included the following essay.  We
had shared it in one of our classes and our students wrote their own
suggestions as to what the writer could do in response to her problem.

Perhaps some of your students would appreciate reading and reflecting on
this essay, too.

George Demetrion

Starting a New Life With No Friends

I come from a country called Malasia.  I am here because my husband's job
required him to be based here for a few years.  However, after being here
for two months, sad to say I have not made a single friend.  I do not know
who my neighbors are.  All I have seen is total indifference to the
existence of another human being in the neighborhood.  I go for walks every
day with my child in order to meet people and to make friends.  Sadly, no
one is interested in speaking more than a word, or even give me a chance to
speak more than that.  They either look away when I pass, or just say
"hello," and off they go!

I understand everyone has their own stuff to do or their niche where they
belong.  But, please don't forget that it can be lonely when you are in a
new place without family or friends.  What makes it worse when people look
at you without any sort of friendly interest.

To the residents of my town, let me just say this:  "I speak English, thus,
I can converse with you.  I am just a woman whom fate has sent to a new
place to start a new life.  So, please come on out and help me feel that the
barrier between us can be brought down."  I have very high expectations for
this country and its people.  However, I am beginning to wonder whether it
has been misplaced.

>From the Reminder
East Hartford Edition
April 24, 2002