[NIFL-FOBASICS:882] Teaching to the test & more

From: George E. Demetrion (socrates555@juno.com)
Date: Thu Dec 11 2003 - 07:49:57 EST

Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2003 07:49:57 -0500 (EST)
Sender: nifl-fobasics@literacy.nifl.gov
From: "George E. Demetrion" <socrates555@juno.com>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-fobasics@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-FOBASICS:882] Teaching to the test & more

Richard,

I'm wondering what you thought of Nixon's two  suggestions.  Based upon
your goals, they seem eminently practical.  Well, let's say 10 rather
than 20 questions.

If your students find this useful and it is meeting the needs for which
they are coming to the program, I see nothing wrong with a
sharply-focused emphasis.  Even still, this may not require an either/or
solution.  Conceivably, there would be value in drawing on some of what
Jackie Taylor suggested in terms of establishing lessons that
contextualize the needed skills in interesting short scenarios or
problems.

We have a basic literacy group in which the tutor spends perhaps 45
minutes going over various "decontextual" grammar exercises and word
lists, and the rest of the time (over an hour) on reading interesting
articles from The New for You, or biographies, or other stimulating
texts.  Students enjoy both approaches.  In both, there is a strong focus
on the content of the material as well as in engaging students in the
learning process in building on areas where students are strong,
effective scaffolding.  The tutor is highly interactive in her approach.
She is knowledgeable about and appreciative of content, and very
supportive and respectful of the ways in which the students are
effectively learning while noting problem areas and addressing them.

In terms of material selection, our program is primarily tutor-centered.
In terms of the learning process, it is very student-centered.  Also, in
terms of the instructional materials (for our community-based small group
tutoring program), we have a wide selection .  Our materials collection
includes all the major areas of interest, and the tutors, generally, put
a decent amount of thought in their selection, thinking through, what
they seek to accomplish through the materials in stimulating interesting
and relevant learning.  In addition, many of our tutors adapt or modify
the materials as part of their effort of thinking through what they seek
to accomplish in their sessions.  Much of these materials have, or
stimulate questions on a variety of levels, and discussion is a critical
part of our small group tutoring program.

In short, if at all possible, I would recommend a balanced, integrative
approach, while keeping in mind and focused on what students want and
what the goals of the program are.  For us, reading, in itself, is a
central goal, which has literal and symbolic dimensions in terms of its
meaning for students.  Beyond what's up front, my sense of what results
in quality instruction is tapping into that symbolic zone of meaning that
can be expressed both in very didactic lessons about vocabulary or
grammar as well as in what might be viewed as broader-based contextual
learning.  That is, it is not the thing that is immediately in front of
us, but what it signifies,.and in relating the thing (say, the materials
or content at hand), to that which it may mean, which in itself requires
a discovery process.

That's at least what I'm thinking.  Others?

George Demetrion

(Snippit)