[NIFL-FOBASICS:839] How to build a curriculum

From: Barbara Garner (barbara_garner@worlded.org)
Date: Tue Oct 28 2003 - 11:23:07 EST

Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2003 11:23:07 -0500 (EST)
Sender: nifl-fobasics@literacy.nifl.gov
From: "Barbara Garner" <barbara_garner@worlded.org>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-fobasics@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-FOBASICS:839] How to build a curriculum

This posting comes from the AALPD discussion.
It starts with a question: How do you perceive the relationship between
involvement in curriculum development and growth as a teacher? I
responded. Then Mary Russell responded, with this interesting cite. I
thought you'd like to take a look at it.
Barb Garner

I certainly agree with Barbara's points, below. I wanted to share a
resource I think is a useful adjunct to teachers trying to build
curriculum, as well as to pursue professional growth. It is  called "By
Your Own Design," and is available in CDRom from
The National Staff Development Council
PO Box 240
Oxford, OH 45056
You can review the materials  at
http://www.enc.org/professional/guide/?ls=ho
Resources can be accessed from this site.
The CD was created in partnership with the Eisenhower Network, and so
is very much directed to K12 Math and Science teachers. However, my
pre-service students  have found it useful for background and materials
in planning their learning in other areas.

Mary Russell
National Center on Adult Literacy
University of Pennsylvania
3910 Chestnut St