[NIFL-FOBASICS:813] Re: Question on prison curriculum

From: Barbara Garner (barbara_garner@worlded.org)
Date: Fri Oct 17 2003 - 11:09:15 EDT

Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2003 11:09:15 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: nifl-fobasics@literacy.nifl.gov
From: "Barbara Garner" <barbara_garner@worlded.org>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-fobasics@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-FOBASICS:813] Re: Question on prison curriculum

Sarah,
Sorry to be dense, but I'm not sure I understand. Do high schools in MO
have adaptations such as on site child care that enable teen parents to
stay in school (and thus give the schools lower "drop out" rates)? Or do
the high schools find that pregnant and parenting teens can't stay in
high school? I'm not clear why there are the other tracks: are they ways
to serve kids who can't stay in school without having them show up as
drop outs on high schools' data?
And does this mean that they aren't going into adult programs-- Because
there are youth-oriented programs designed for them that have room for
them?
Barb

>>> sbeaman@webster.edu 10/17/03 10:49AM >>>
Barbara,

In Missouri, schools have been loathe to refer teen parents to Even
Start
programs because that increased their drop out numbers.  Recently
though
there new procedures were developed by the state department of
education:
The students may be labeled in a variety of ways.  If they are under 21
and
close to graduation, they are enrolled in the high school part time
and
labeled in Credit Recovery.  They could also be counted as part of
Even
Start if they have a child.  They primarily follow a computer based
curriculum.  If they are not close to having enough credits to graduate
and
are under 21, they are labeled GED option.  This means that if they
pass the
GED test, they receive a high school diploma and are not counted as a
drop
out.  They may be considered full time if they attend a voc tec school
in
the afternoons. They can also be part of Even Start if they have
children.
Sarah Beaman-Jones, MAT
Literacy Program Developer
LIFT-Missouri