[NIFL-FOBASICS:762] RE: Math Mnemonics

From: Nixon S. Griffis (ngriffis@bellsouth.net)
Date: Wed Sep 03 2003 - 14:40:33 EDT

Date: Wed, 3 Sep 2003 14:40:33 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: nifl-fobasics@literacy.nifl.gov
From: "Nixon S. Griffis" <ngriffis@bellsouth.net>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-fobasics@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-FOBASICS:762] RE: Math Mnemonics

List Serve Members:
	I would like to know if anyone has come across a resource that has
connected each of the Adult Ed. Math skills with a mnemonic for our students
to utilize. An example:

The steps to remember to divide fractions:

1.	Change the division to multiplication
2.	Flip the second fraction
3.	Multiply

	Ok, off the top of my head, a mnemonic could be: Can(change) Fred(flip)
Multiply(multiply)?
Obviously, there needs to be a better one out there.

	I believe that Adult Ed. student success could be improved and sped up if
our students were given a package of the math skills needed to pass the GED
test with the associated mnemonics for each skill.

	Please let me know if anyone has come across such mnemonics. Please let me
know if anyone is interested in joining together to create such a list.

Nick Griffis
Adult Education
Inlet Grove H.S.
Riviera Beach, FL